Saturday, February 11, 2006

Mommy...it's...it's OVER!

So FATEP ended today. I can’t say how relieved I am that I’m not outfield swatting at mosquitoes at some God-forsaken place in Lim Chu Kang, but I can’t say that I don’t feel a pang of sadness at having to say this.

So the chapter of our lives in the Army are drawing to a close, and just like forest, who went around congratulating everyone who was ORD-ing, I can’t help but wonder at how fast time has flown past. It was just yesterday that I first set foot in the now-defunct School of Artillery, Khatib Camp…into a world of fresh unknown faces and complex mathematical algorithms which I thought I’d never see until uni.

It was just yesterday that I set foot in 24th Battalion, Singapore Artillery, with the 3 white bars upon my shoulders. I remember the nights before deployment drills/exercises where we’d all stay in, eat instant noodles, and turn in early. I remember mel prank-calling forest time and time again. I remember the bitching sessions we had against somebody. I also remember late-night bowling with johnnycakes, whose whereabouts are currently unknown.

I remember commissioning on that parade square one year back just as clearly as I remembered almost every single day of my trip to New Zealand, which was less than one month ago…Isn’t it amazing how you remember things so crystal-clearly? I remember turning out a batch of almost-ideal men any commander could wish for. I remember not being able to do the same for the cadets.

And all the free sightseeing trips the SAF has put me on…like the ones to Thailand (which were spent swatting the stupid mosquitoes and sweating it out under the sauna-ish conditions,) NZ (which was like heaven OMGWTF I loved the shelter…) and well, Brunei (Jungle Mania! ‘Nuff said!) they enriched me and I’m sure all who went for it.

But what I’m gonna miss most are the people. The FATA Specs, especially. Considering how they’re the same batch as mel and myself, we managed to establish a rapport amongst ourselves and ensured that we worked smoothly. Sure, we’ve had our differences – but what’s important is that we were able to put them behind us. People like derek, eric, kuek, ryan, kenneth, neo, yang wee, lui, marc, and omg did I leave anyone out? I guess they’re all who are left.

I’ll gladly go for reservist training with these people…and of course my current locators. I mean…why the fuck not man…they’re one of the best people you could come across.

FATEP was…well…interesting (nearing the end, that is…) yours truly, for one, didn’t do anything much at all as the TPQ 37 controller…I just helped lemuel as support for his missions and cueing him to do certain stuff. I do know, however, that I slept very little (only on the move, and then some, but I didn’t grab any Z’s at night generally) and got raped by the moz at Lim Chu Kang. Oh…and those fucking Commandos were damn scary lah! Zzz…its like…from the initiation of their attack to the conclusion it took only like, 5 minutes?! Zai zai. Really nothing to say man. Power overwhelming. They concentrated their fire on storming any one weak point in our local defence, which was already spread thin…so basically once they got through, the rest was just history. Sigh. We only had a life expectancy of like...5 minutes. Hardly impressive, but oh well, guess it teaches us a lesson…

Since artillery-hunting radars are gonna be hunted by special forces, it’s good to go for reservist, but not good to go for war.

Haha…I sound so fucking unpatriotic. I figure someone’s gonna read this and get me arrested.

And FATEP was interesting caz of one more thing…just before the exercise was cut, we (the TPQ 37 Section) got the chance to go and attack R&S…hahaha…so we all turned green (yes me too) and went to punish those maggots. Hahaha…that was really quite fun…especially when they thought we were Commandos…OMGWTF…we can change our berets loh…but come to think of it, if so many of us weren’t in ORD mood, I doubt we would’ve done it in such a way.

So we went out with a bang!

And yeah guys, you all did a damn bloody good job. HOO-AH!

Now repeat after me…ORD LOH!

Damn. I’m gonna miss all of you. Like crazy. I can’t believe it’s all over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home