Friday, December 02, 2005

Nachdenken

I was grateful to be able to get back to camp.

For once, I was happy to do all the work, if only to take my mind off flunking that stupid test. The ride back to camp on Monday night was excruciating. It just felt so wrong. Of course, you could say I was overreacting. Maybe I was. But who gives a fuck? I hate failing at things. Having forest and jk call you at 2 a.m. to ask if you passed didn’t help, although it was really quite funny at the time. Hahaha…

Haven’t gone for Life Run in eons. Finally went this once and ended up with a stitch…sigh. I am becoming totally unfit. But oh well.

It seems that a certain someone has earned the nickname of best friend. Hahaha! Still cracks me up when I think of it…today I told alfred and friends that they could adopt a goldfish, put it in a bowl and name it after him. That’d be like how cool?! I mean…

‘Eh, have you fed best friend?’

The past two days were spent working on S1’s last arrow…something to help the new generation out and prevent them from getting even more extra duties. I can already think of some who should be eating them by the truckload already, but yes, no names mentioned!

The debate between some Australian citizens and Singapore about the hanging of a convicted drug trafficker who was caught with an amount equivalent to 26,000 shots of heroin on the streets has caught my attention lately. I mean, like seriously. It’s like the first thing I go for every morning when I read the papers. He’s due to be hung at dawn today. And while the argument rages on, I paused to wonder. What if you had clear knowledge that within the next few hours, you would definitely be dead? What if the sunrise and sunset you saw were the very last you were to ever see? The thought is unsettling, no doubt.

But I do applaud our Government’s way of handling the issue, the no-nonsense policy backed by an iron will. Somehow, I’ve come to distrust human rights organizations and all they stand for. They claim they stand for human rights, but is that right at all? Many politicians jump on the human rights bandwagon just to coddle the population, thus raising their own popularity. I do recall the majority of Aussie politicians baying for the blood of the Bali bombers who maimed and killed so many Australian holiday-makers. Where were the human rights then? Don’t forget the pain and suffering drugs do to others – and that this man was en route to Australia in the first place.

You can plead his innocence but it’s all to no avail. He broke the laws in another nation – surely you have to respect their laws. I mean, sure, it’s hard to respect laws when it becomes personal – but many of you who want his capital sentence commuted to life in prison miss the point. If we let him go, are we then giving the image that we are being soft on foreign drug smugglers? Obviously not. So you see, my counterparts downunder,  making an exception could very well open the floodgates.

And lastly, a question:

Why do my ex-classmates sound as if they are bequeathing us a huge favour if they agree to meet up with us?!

It seems that we must wait ages to meet friends who are in the university, who normally claim to have examinations or other school stuff in the way. Fair enough. But if you say that each and every single fucking time, it gets old. Really quickly. It seems we must book you in advance, and then you cancel on us anyway. Why are you taking us for granted? We (or I) constantly keep you guys in mind and ask you out because we value your friendship. Tell us if we’re just being na?ve, idealistic, or simply misguided. We can change. Don’t say you haven’t. Don’t lie to yourself and lie to us.

Maybe it’s because my personal motto is: Talk is cheap. Too many times I’ve seen it happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home