Thursday, December 29, 2005

Jahresrückblick 2005 Teil 1

So this is the report for this year’s first quarter.

All the major stuff had to do with me turning from a maggoty cadet into a proud commissioned officer (although looking back…sometimes I don’t feel proud at all – but that’s about 5% of the time only =P) So!

I commissioned on 23rd January 2005. A day of intense pride, when all my friends came to see me throw my peak cap on that parade square. A day of mirror-shined boots, jubilation, Mr. President, and generally the defining moment of my Army life. Yes, up til now even. A totally unforgettable moment, one where we stood proud and performed to perfection, that is…until the very end when something silly happened. Bleah.

this is my time, this is my life
gonna live it the way that I want it
this is my time, made up my mind
and it feels like I’m gonna make it…

So I entered TA Battery, 24th Battalion, Singapore Artillery as a fresh 2nd Lieutenant. With upperstudies like jj and mok and mark k. the slacker…learning the ropes from them was taxing for me and melvyn but that don’t mean it wasn’t fun! We learned and talked trash about each other, and made friends with LTA anthony…someone who came to be a closer friend after jj & Co. left us. We also came under our then-boss, CPT francis, who was one mother of a badass…by which we meant that he looked damn intimidating, but has a hilarious side to him (if you believe it…)

And all the times he jio-ed us to go and run! Hahaha! And as I write, jj is giving me a lecture on ‘Survival in New Zealand.’ Bah. I love jj. Wooot.

But that was after a two-week continuation of our course, where we learned two more systems, with john and yu ru. Highlight? John getting splattered with disgusting grey mud during EX SILL, moaning in despair at the same time. HAHAHA you poor thing. Pity I got no pics…

Early February was the commissioning ball for the 43rd FAOCC…it was also the time I brought a girl whom I’d fallen for, and to have gotten close to emotionally (but it wasn’t very physical at all) but to have it all come to nought. I never blamed her – instead, I asked her a question – Why? To which she couldn’t answer. Perhaps because of that episode, we grew closer…perhaps not as I’d have wished, as although I respected her decision, my feelings didn’t change. But still, deep down I believed I could change things. Make a comeback and the like.

…you know they say
in every man’s life, there comes a time
when you get struck by the arrow of Cupid,
by the love of God – or the beauty of a woman
and sometimes this love brings thunder to your life
it brings a storm – so sing about it…

I should really be thankful for the support of my blood bruddahs throughout this shenanigan. Without them…perhaps I’d be a different me. They taught me to accept things, and not to take her for granted – so what if she liked me and I her? To work things out, you gotta give and take – and ultimately, both of us must decide. They supported me through, sitting at pubs talking over glasses of alcohol, and trying to make the world that much easier to comprehend, that much easier to take. Must’ve been the alcohol. Or their words. Or both. Or maybe I sorted myself out. Hmmm.

March saw the beginning of the FATA Trade Course – fresh blood for all the men who were about to ORD (I ran into vagen today – the people you run into when you least expect it! But everyone always wants to run into a pretty friend – no wonder it never happens…) and melvyn and I are proud to say that we trained them the best way we could – and they turned into the best men a commander could almost wish for. More on that in April / May

We also warmed up to the FATA Specs truly about now…here was a time when, after observing carefully how jj and mok went about with them (although I must vehemently protest against mok’s treatment of the specs sometimes) and that’s when I became closer to some of them – most of us are quite great friends now! March also saw me doing my first DOO duties (which I now have the dubious honour of being 24 SA’s best DOO) and also my first display (babycakes! We lowered the fucking 37 antenna in 20 minutes!)

DOOs aren’t easy to do because of all your responsibilities – if I ever offended anyone, my apologies. I don’t believe in showing anyone any face as DOO because…you’re the biggest fuck in the unit. No one’s gonna cover up for you if you goof up – you better make damn sure that you do your stuff properly (no doubt, as those of you in 24 SA voyeuring my blog shold know…)

And as for that antennababycakes and yours truly spent 20 minutes in CAT 1 weather (it was already a thunderstorm, goddamn it) cranking that stupid antenna down, switching when we were tired. It was tiring, and we sure got wet – but we had fun! I remember laughing a lot…and the feeling of actually doing it before PGM could get the DGU to the parade square. YOU MAGGOT YOU! I was grateful for it to end because all the big fucks were intimidating me with their questions, some of which really challenged my radar knowledge (perhaps boss should have taken this display…)

March was also the month when samantha came back – that’s more private, but all I know was that I goofed up really bad at the airport – I offended her badly and I guess I should do more than say I’m truly sorry again – I never intended it that way, but good intentions are very easily misread, and I hope never to do it again. What transpired is, also, privat, and only 3 people are privy to it, me included.

…ach, könntest du es einmal nur mit meinen Augen sehen
könntest du es einmal nur, du würdest mich verstehen…

A problem of misunderstanding left questions in my mind – could I have handled it better? What should I have done? Should I have shut up and listened? Or went on? I felt responsible for all this, but…what could I do?!

And here, geboren:

kelvin – 1.Januar
taryn - 1.Januar (auch!)
samantha – 28.Januar
fats - 4.Februar (johnnycakes says so, sue him if it's wrong...)
kah yee – 10.Februar
my maggot little bro – 26.Februar
ween – 2.März
melissa - 16.M
ärz
szejie - 20.März
sherry – 30.März (you’re here because your terror of being old stuck on me…I hate…err, dislike being 20!)

Oh, and did I mention that I took up reading again? Hahaha! Back to the world of literary wonders, a world of make-believe, a brave new world where you can lose yourself in its marvels. All you have to do is to read – to open the doors yourself – sei ein kleiner Held – you can be one to yourself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home